As a resident of Mendham Township and of the state of New Jersey, it's important to take note of the easy things you can do every day to protect our water.
LIMIT YOUR USE OF FERTILIZERS AND PESTICIDES
- Perform a soil test to see if you need fertilizer.
- Do not apply fertilizer if heavy rain is predicted.
- Look into pesticide alternatives.
- Maintain a small lawn and keep the rest of your property in a natural state.
- Carefully follow all label instructions when using fertilizers or pesticides. Properly discard any unused portions.
PROPERLY USE AND DISPOSE OF HAZARDOUS PRODUCTS
Hazardous products include: some household or commercial cleaning products, lawn and garden care products, motor oil, antifreeze and paints.
- DO NOT pour hazardous products down storm drains; storm drains are connected to local water bodies.
- If you have hazardous products, dispose of the properly. Check labels for guidance.
- Use natural or less toxic alternatives, when available.
- Recycle used motor oil.
- Contact Mendham Township or the Morris County MUA for the locations and drop-off times of hazardous waste disposal facilities.
- Place litter in trash cans.
- RECYCLE. RECYCLE. RECYCLE.
- Participate in community clean-ups.
- Follow local pet waste laws.
- Pick up and properly dispose of pet waste.
- NEVER discard pet waste in a storm drain.
- Do not feed wild fowl, such as ducks and geese.
- Keep leaves and grass out of storm drains.
- Use leaves and grass clippings for compost.
- Use a mulching mower to recycle grass clippings into the lawn.