File Of Life
The Mendham Township First Aid Squad responds to medical emergencies 24 hours a day 365 days a year. The Squad is comprised entirely of volunteers, fully committed to providing residents of Mendham Township with the highest level of pre-hospital emergency care available. All Mendham Township First Aid Squad members are New Jersey State Certified and held to the same standards as professional EMTs.
Medical emergencies are very frightening. A little preparedness, however, can better position first responders to provide the assistance needed in a timely fashion. One important way to save time is to have patient information readily available. The following are questions that the squad will always ask when responding to a medical emergency. This information is confidential by law and will only be shared with the emergency department when patient care is transferred upon arrival at the hospital:
- Medications – keep a current list of all medications
- Medical History – keep a list of current medical conditions and past medical history
- Allergies – maintain a list of all known allergies
- Physician - list patient’s physicians and phone number
- Emergency contact - list the name and phone number of the patient’s emergency contact
Mendham Township First Aid Squad can provide a “File of Life” which is a small magnetic sleeve usually kept on the refrigerator. It contains a form to make pertinent information easily organized and is quickly accessible during an emergency. Residents interested in obtaining a File of Life are encouraged to call the Squad’s non- emergency number (973-543-1212) to request.