Skip to main content

Mendham Township

Founded 1749

Mendham Township

Email a link to this web page.
Simply fill out this form and click Send.
*Fields in Red are required.
*You must enter a valid email
*You must enter a valid email.



Here you will find answers to our most Frequently Asked Questions: should you require further assistance please call Township Hall at 973-543-4555 or email them to
  • General Questions
    • Can you tell me when the monthly Committee meetings are held and where?

      Meetings are held at the Town Hall, 2 West Main St. Bookside. 

      Meeting Schedule is as follows:

      Township Committee meets on the 2nd Monday and 4th Tuesday at 7:30 p.m.
      Board of Health meets on the 4th Tuesday at 7:30 p.m.
      Board of Adjustment meets on the 2nd Thursday at 8:00 p.m.
      Planning Board meets on the 1st Monday and 3rd Wednesday at 7:30 p.m.
      Recreation Committee meets on the 1st Tuesday at 7:30 p.m.

      Town Hall Calendar

    • Does Mendham Township have any rules and regulations regarding noise?

      Yes, the Township does have a noise ordinance.  The purpose of this ordinance is to regulate the hours of construction and the use of power equipment out-of-doors in order to protect and promote the health, welfare and safety of the public and the peace and tranquility of the township.

      Restricted Activities:

      The construction, maintenance, repair, alteration or demolition of any building or structure or the laying of any pavement, including but not limited to making an excavation movement of earth, clearing of land and loading or unloading of construction material, equipment or supplies shall be unlawful.

      Operating any power equipment, including but not limited to a power saw, hammer, sander, drill, grinder, lawn mower, leaf blower, woodchipper, thatcher, generator, air compressor or like power equipment.

      Permitted Hours of Restricted Activites:

      The activities restricted shall be permitted only during the following hours:

      Weekdays:              7:00 am to 8:00 pm

      Saturdays:               8:00 am to 6:00 pm

      Sundays and
      Legal Holidays:        9:00 am to 6:00 pm

      Such activites on Sundays and legal holidays may be conducted only by the owners or occupants of the premises or their family members and not by contractors or employees.

      To Find Out More Information about the Township's Noise Ordinance:

      Please contact our Township Clerk at (973) 543-4555 ext. 211.

    • How can I dispose of Household Hazardous Waste such as oil based paint or pesticides ?

      The MCMUA offers three major programs to help Morris County residents, businesses, and municipalities safely manage their household hazardous (HHW), hazardous, special and universal wastes. Call 973-829-8006 for more informtion or click here to visit their website.

    • I am a new resident in town, who do I use for garbage pickup?

      Garbage is collected once a week using RTS, a private contractor. Township residents pay only for the amount of garbage they produce. The hauler’s overhead costs are paid by a contract through municipal taxes. You pay a sticker fee to cover the cost of disposal at the Morris County Transfer Station. For additional information, please click here.

      *Residents not wishing to participate in the Township garbage collection program may opt to hire their own private contractor directly.  For information on private waste haulers consult the local yellow pages of your phone book.

      *To reach out to RTS via email, please use the RTS dedicated customer service address:




    • I'm thinking of selling my home, is there anything that the Township requires?


         1.  (By State Law) a Certificate of Smoke Detector/Carbon Monoxide/Fire  Extinguisher  Compliance.  Forms may be picked up at Town Hall or under the Forms and Documents  section of the website.  Filing fee determined by amount of notice given for inspection.

              More than 10 business days' notice:  $50.00
              Less than 10 business days' notice:  $75.00 
              4 business days or less notice:  $125.00.

          2.  Certificate of Continued Use for septic systems.  System must be tested by a   licensed professional engineer or a registered Environmental Health Specialist, first grade.  Filing  fee:  $45.00.  Health Department (973) 543-4555 x 218.

          3.  Certificate of Potability (private wells only).  Water must be sampled by and tested by a state certified laboratory.  Filing fee:  $45.00.  Please call our Health Department for addtiional information at (973) 543-4555 x 218.
    • What utility companies service Mendham Township?


      Comcast:  Customer Service:  1 800 COMCAST.  Website:
      Verizon:  Customer Service at 1-800 VERIZON  Website:
      Verizon FIOS:  (Internet) Customer Service at 1-855-875-8219 Website: Click Here


      Water Companies: 

      For The Water Company By Street Directory Click here
      Randolph Township MUA:  973 989-7100 or 973 326-6880  click here for website.
      Southeast Morris County MUA:  973 326-6880 click here for website.
      New Jersey American Water: 1-800-652-6987 click here for website.

      Electric and Gas:

      PSEG:   Website:
                      Customer Service: 1-800-436-PSEG (7734)
      JCP&L:  Website:
                       Customer Service:  1-800-662-3115

    • Which cable company services Mendham Township?

      Comcast provides cable services in all parts of Mendham Township.  To establish a new connection or for technical support for existing connections contact Comcast Customer Service at 1 800 COMCAST.  Additional information on Comcast can be found through their website at  Verizon FIOS (cable TV, data & voice) services are also available to a large number of Township residences.  To establish a new connection or for techinical support for existing conections contact Verizon Customer Service at 1-800 VERIZON or via the Verizon website.

Board of Health
  • Board of Health
    • Do I have to license my dog or cat?

      Yes, each dog or cat has to be licensed on an annual basis.  A dog has to be six months of age and  proof of rabies shot must be provided.  Contact the Health Department at Town Hall for further assistance or click here for the application. 

      Health Department can be reached at (973) 543-4555 ext.218.

Construction Department
  • Building Questions
    • Is a permit required to install a fence around my property?

      If the fence is 6 feet or over, or surrounding a pool, a permit is required.  Residents on corner lots should also contact the Building Department prior to installing a fence to ensure there are no issues with roadway sight-lines.  Please call our Building Department at (973) 543-4555 ext. 226 for other specific information you may need.

Department of Public Works
Planning Board
  • Planning Board
    • What is on the next Planning Board Agenda?

      The Planning Board Agenda gets posted twice a month on the Town Hall Bulletin Board.  You can check the calendar on the homepage of the website for meeting updates. 

Police Department
  • General Questions
  • Police Department
    • When am I allowed to park a vehicle on the roadway?

      You are allowed to park vehicles on the roadway at any time during the year as long as the roads are not snow covered or if the roadway has been posted with "No Parking" signs.  Additionally, by State Law there are restrictions on how far you may park from an intersection, stop sign, crosswalk, curves and on vision obstructed hillcrests.   
      Should you need to leave your car on the street overnight, you may notify the Police Department by calling the non- emergency number 973-543-2581.


Township Clerk
  • Clerk's Office
    • How do I apply for a Marriage License?

      A marriage license is obtained in the municipality where either party resides.  If neither applicant is a New Jersey resident, submit the application in the municipality where the marriage ceremony will be performed.  In this case, the license is only valid in the issuing municipality.  A witness, 18 years of age or older must be present. The license fee is $28.00.  To schedule an appointment, please contact our Registrar of Vital Statistics at 973 543-4555 ext. 211.

  • General Questions
    • Can I hang a banner in town?

      Banners can continue to be hung over Route 24 with the following parameters:

      1. An organization wishing to hang a banner over Route 24, must first obtain the necessary approval from JCP&L and the Freeholders and let the Clerk’s office know the dates.
      2. The individual organization shall be responsible for the hanging of the banner, including providing all necessary fastening equipment.
      3. The organization must come into the Clerk’s office to sign a Hold Harmless Agreement prior to hanging the banner.

      Please call the Township Clerk, Maria Coppinger at 973-543-4555 ext. 211 with any questions regarding this matter.