Registrar of Vital Statistics
The Township Clerk is the Registrar of Vital Statistics in Mendham Township and as such manages Vital Records, which include the records of births, marriages and deaths that occurred in the Township, as well as accepting applications for Marriage Licenses.
Certified Copies of Vital Records
If you want to get a copy of a birth, marriage or death certificate you must complete the Township request form, provide adequate identification and pay the required fee of $10.00 per copy. You may obtain a copy of the form by clicking here.
While an appointment is not required, it is strongly recommended that you call ahead to schedule an appointment to assure that the Registrar or Deputy Registrar is available to take the application. They are the only employees in Town Hall who, by law, can accept a marriage license application.
In order to get married or enter into a civil union in New Jersey, you must apply for and obtain a license. The following information will help you in the application process.
You would apply for a license in Mendham Township if…
- either the applicant resides in Mendham Township OR
- neither applicant is a resident of New Jersey but the ceremony will be performed in Mendham Township
Applicants must both be at least 18 years old, with one exception:
- Applicants under 18 may marry if both parents consent to the marriage. The consent must be given under oath in front of two witnesses.
- Both parental consents and judicial approval of such consents are necessary if the applicant is younger than 16.
How much does it cost?
The application fee is $28.00, payable by check, cash or money
When should you apply for a marriage/civil union license?
There is a 72 hour waiting period after a license application is taken before the license can be issued, unless the Registrar is ordered to do so via an appropriate court order. Please plan in advance to assure that your license can be issued in time for the ceremony - holidays and weekends are not working days, and licenses cannot be issued.
What to bring with you when you come:
· Both applicants must appear in person to apply for the license. If both applicants cannot come in at the same time, either applicant may complete his/her part of the application and start the waiting period. The other applicant must return with the same witness to complete his/her part of the application. The application must be completed by both parties before the license will be issued.
· A witness at least eighteen (18) years of age must appear with the applicants and swear to the completeness and accuracy of the answers supplied by the applicants.
· Current identification – which may be a birth certificate, drivers’ license or passport
· Proof of residency in Mendham Township
· If either party has been in a marriage, domestic partnership or civil union before, a copy of a death certificate, divorce decree, dissolution of civil union or termination of domestic partnership must be submitted with the application.
· Social Security Number
· $28.00 application fee
How long is the license valid?
Marriage licenses are valid for thirty days from the date they are